One of the biggest buzz of this year is about to come true. Come June 2014 and you did be able to see yet another Internet giant joining the arenaread more...
Cydia Acquiring Rock your Phone [Rock.app]
If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you might have heard about Cydia and Rock.app. They are both stores (the same as App Store) for 3rd party apps, themes, tweaks and everything you may want for your iPhone. Cydia was developed by Jay Freeman a.k.a Saurik, and registered under SaurikIT, LLC and is owned by Jay Freeman, and Rock.app is registered under Rock Your Phone, Inc and is owned by Mario Ciabarra.
Cydia was launched back in February, 2008 and Rock.app was launched later. Over the last two month, Jay Freeman & Mario Ciabarra was making a deal that has been finalized today. Cydia is acquiring Rock, in other words “Cydia Rocks”.
After 10 days from now, most of the apps, tweaks, themes over at Rock.app will now be moved to Cydia, also users purchased apps from Rock.app will need to log in to Cydia to retrieve their purchased apps.
Honestly, I’m not satisfied with Rock.app as much as Cydia, but I was really surprised with the number below posted on Rock your Phone news:
- Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
- Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) – Wow that is a lot of places!
- Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
- Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
- Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
- Total Rock Your Phone Store revenue (March 12th, 2009 – September 2010): $3.3+ million
- Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9
Pretty impressive.. Isn’t it? Well, merging of the communities will bring a lot of benefits especially that users don’t like the ads everywhere in Rock.app. [via Modmyi]
You may also like:
- New iPad with FaceTime Coming on 2011?
- Gridlock to Freely Move Icons on iPhone / iPad / iPod Available in Cydia
- IconSupport Updated to Fix iTunes 10 Issues